Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Two Comments Are Better Than One

I hate when I only have one comment on a post because it reads "one comments". The plural disagreement troubles me. It makes me uncomfortable and full of rage. Every number works with "comments" except 1, even zero. I feel like my hand is forced to make a comment on my own post just so the grammar corrects itself. I hate being forced to do anything. It's like blog rape. If I leave it alone I feel angry. If I make a comment to fix it, I feel violated. I can't win. Fuck you, blogspot.]

Addendum: Thanks to Gypsy I am no longer a victim. I didn't realize that I had the power to save myself all along. See, I didn't know I could just change the word "comments" to "comment(s)". Remember how Dorothy had the power to go home the whole time she was in Oz? All she had to do was just click her heels together and say, "There's no place like home." So why the fuck did that supposed Good Witch not tell her this pretty important information from the very beginning? Why did she fucking make her go through all that shit? I'd had to slap that bitch right across her smug mouth if I were Dorothy.

10 comments:

  1. Shit, I'm number 1. Well, anyway, don't join Facebook because the disagreements there are rampant, especially when the person doesn't disclose their gender to Facebook, which then resorts to "Sally changed their profile photo".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh look, I'm second thus making me awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! The non-gender specific pronoun issue. It is irritating when I'm writing and I am forced to say he or she. Often, it ruins the flow of my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsey - You are awesome for many, many reasons. This is just one of a long string of things that make you awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny! I did a post about a year ago about the word "shrimp" and how people insist on adding an "s" onto the end to make it plural.

    ...babspeapod

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re: pronoun agreement... I will spend LITERAL HOURS (well, not literally) reworking a sentence if I write myself into a his/her corner. Let's just make a word for these situations. Let's call that word 'hiser.'

    Also, blog rape is the worst rape of all rapes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gwen! I've been meaning to make it over here for too long. Consider me tardy. And seriously, one comment"s"? No attention to detail, no pride in craftsmanship anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would drive me nuts, too.

    I do think there's a way in Blogger that you can change "comments" to something else, like hibbity-dibbity. Although why you would want it to say "1 hibbity-dibbity" I don't know, it's just the first thing I thought of. Check your settings in Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. See, I'm totally green when it comes to this blogging thing. Thanks for the tip, Gypsy.

    ReplyDelete