Friday, August 31, 2007

Chrysalis

Last night, sitting in Vinyasa flow I was filled with overwhelming tranquility. The whir of the fans overhead, the quiet swishing of the big, white paper lanterns, the feel of hardwood beneath me, the last vestiges of the day's light pouring into my third eye...I don't know, its a beautiful moment in time. To be in blooming lotus with your head tilted toward the sky, begging some unknown entity for the knowledge to move forward. I guess that's why I keep obsessing about butterflies. There is something innately progressive about them...the process of change and how hard that can be. For me, it is like I am learning how to live all over again. I am in my own chrysalis...resisting movement, resisting change. But its a biological process we can't stop. And I am paralyzed with fear about what the future holds. I have to share what I have read about this process in a butterfly, I find it weirdly fascinating, so humor me...

"Like other types of pupae the chrysalis stage in most butterflies is one in which there is little movement. However, some butterfly pupae are capable of moving the abdominal segments to produce sounds or to scare away potential predators. Within the chrysalis, growth and differentiation occur. The adult butterfly emerges (ecloses) from this and expands its wings by pumping haemolymph into the wing veins. This sudden and rapid change from pupa to imago is called metamorphosis."

I am holding still, but moving nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment