Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Signs of the Times

I was driving yesterday around 2:45 in the afternoon. Bad Idea. I had to go through about 10 school zones. I don't think its possible to even go 15 miles per hour. It feels weird. I love kids, I do. But I think the whole school zone thing is sort of strange. Why can't we just teach our kids to be cautious? I know you are going to say, "But Gwen, if there are too many cars going fast then the little kids won't be able to cross the street". So what are crossing guards for then? When I was little I don't remember cars practically standing still so that I could cross the street. I had to "look both ways". Also, I knew I could get hit by a car if I didn't. Because my mom scared the shit out of me about that.

Another thing I hate? The signs that say Slow, Children at Play. It's so stupid to me because I think - aren't there kids in every neighborhood playing? Why do only a few select streets get that special sign? Are the kids on Chestnut worth more than the kids on Madison? Shouldn't I be careful even if there isn't a sign? I even a few times saw a sign that said Caution Blind Child. Am I to assume that a blind child is just meandering around the neighborhood without a chaperone? Who's fault is that? Keep an eye on your god damn child if they can't see. Don't try and make that my job. I can just see these parents lobbying the township "oh we need a sign! We need a sign", I'm just sick of signs. I'm on the universal precaution side of things. I have an idea! Let's just always be careful. How about that? Why do they have to have signs telling me to slow down, watch children, don't tailgate. It's like that stuff should really be a given. If you need a sign to tell you those things maybe you shouldn't have a driver's license. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment