Friday, March 5, 2010

Robin Williams: Wanted Dead or Alive (Actually just dead would be nice)

So, not only is Patch Adams a horrible shitfest of a movie, it's now responsible for at least one 13 year old girl getting molested. I was reading this article yesterday and noticed this interesting quote by the prosecutors in the case:

Gardner of Lake Elsinore pleaded guilty in May 2000 to molesting a 13-year-old female neighbor. Prosecutors said he lured the victim to his home with an offer to watch "Patch Adams," a 1998 movie starring Robin Williams.

Is it just me or is the mention of "Patch Adams, a 1998 movie starring Robin Williams" in this context pretty goddamn weird? I mean, why did the prosecutor feel the need to mention that little tidbit? What does the reader gain by having this information? What does the prosecutor gain by relaying it? Why wasn't it sufficient to just say that the molester lured the victim to his home with an offer to watch a movie?

I can't help but feel that this group of prosecutors is disgusted by the pedophile's luring this young girl not only to molest her but, even worse, to subject her to the horrible antics of Robin Williams. I mean, subjecting a child to one of his comedic film efforts surely qualifies as an aggravating circumstance, don't you think? But then again I think anyone who lets their kid watch Mrs. Doubtfire should get the electric chair so maybe I'm not the best judge and jury on this one.

Anyway, this whole situation just adds more weight to my argument that Robin Williams is in league with the devil. How the hell else did he get so famous?

10 comments:

  1. I love Robin Williams. Also? Loved both of those movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hated Patch Adams, never seen Mrs. Doubtfire, but LOVE me some Robin Williams circa Mork & Mindy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rent "One Hour Photo". The only good movie he's ever made. However, this man can make me cringe like no other human being can when I inadvertently catch him on ANY talk show. I can never get to the remote fast enough to change the channel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love him, but yeah, some of his movies are gosh awful. And he keeps making them.

    I loved Fisher King. That is one fucked up movie.

    But yeah, why the heck did they have to put that in there? Luring her to watch a movie would have sufficed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moscow on the Hudson? Great. Awakenings? Great. Good Morning Vietnam? Great.


    Patch Adams?
    Ugh.

    And yes creepy that Patch Adams was bait since everyone knows candy and lost puppies are way more effective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's actually good in dramas, or comedramas like Good Morning Vietnam.

    How about that movie where he was a little boy in a man's body. I think that was one before. It was called "Big".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin Williams was funny ... once. A long time ago. More recently, not so much. Like the others here, I prefer his serious roles to his comedic turns. And his stand up is only funny anymore if you are also on cocaine.

    However. I have a soft spot in my heart for Patch Adams. I watched in in the hospital with my wife right after she gave birth to our 2nd child. After our first, we watched some Matthew Modine move about med school (Gross Anatomy), so it seems I have a "type" of movie I like to watch when a kid is born.

    Weird. Never thought about it till just now.

    For what it's worth, I also got Burger King drive through each time I brought one of my kids home from the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was watching the Oscar s the other day and to be honest, they all kind of annoy me. I mean Alec Baldwin? Seriously? But Robin Williams was a presenter and I just wanted to turn it off. He's done some good things - Mork and Mindy, Dead Poet's Society. But I'm just done with him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny. When I first heard about this, I wondered the same thing. Why bring it up?! Silly . . .

    Another wonderful, but creepy, RW performance is Insomnia. Eeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They probably mentioned it because anyone stupid enough to get lured by "Patch Adams" deserves to be murdered anyway.

    Oh, people might hate me for saying that.

    Also, "Hook" was awesome. Seriously awesome.

    ReplyDelete